Can you put Bigger Wheels on a BMX Bike? If you’re reading this article, then you’re probably a biker. And if you’re a biker, chances are you have heard the question “Can you put bigger wheels on a BMX bike?” (or some variation of that) and you’re thinking “I don’t know how to answer that.”
Well, here’s the answer. In order to put larger wheels on a BMX bike, you need to be able to make two changes. First, you need to modify the front end of your BMX bike to accommodate bigger wheels. Second, you need to find a frame that will allow you to do this.
Reasons For Why You Can’t Put Bigger Wheels On a BMX Bike?
In addition to being able to make the changes needed to fit bigger wheels, there are some other reasons why you might not be able to put bigger wheels on a BMX bike.
- Each model is built to fit the specific wheel size, and it’s not usually possible to increase the wheel size.
- Tire clearance and brake positioning may limit your ability to increase the wheel size.
- There is a possibility that the frame will get hit with bigger wheels.
- As I have said before, the biggest reason is that most BMX bikes are made to be ridden with smaller wheels. This is because smaller wheels have the advantage of making it easier to turn your bike around in tight spaces.
- The biggest problem will create by putting big wheels on a BMX is that you will be making your bike too big and heavy, which is not good for BMX tricks and stunts.
- Again, you can’t really put bigger wheels on a BMX bike without making some changes to the front end of your BMX bike. In brief, you need to modify the front end of your BMX bike so that it is capable of supporting larger wheels.
Can You Change the width of a tire?
The width of a tire can be changed a little bit. It is possible to go larger, but it is limited by the frame clearance, and most BMX-class bikes are shipped with tires that are close to the widest the frame will handle. Going narrower is not too difficult, though a narrower rim might be needed at some point.
What Changes you will need to do to put bigger wheels?
I will now explain in more detail what I mean by changing the front end of your BMX bike. Nevertheless, you need to keep in mind that making these changes may not be as easy as you might think.
1. First, you will need to change the fork. If you don’t already have one, then you will need to buy a fork specifically designed to work with larger wheels.
This means that you will need to change the fork and the headset.
2.Second, you will need to change the handlebars. You will need to buy some new handlebars that are specifically designed to support larger wheels. In brief, you will need to buy some new handlebars.
3.Finally, you will need to change the frame. This means that you will need to buy a frame that is specifically designed to support larger wheels.
4. You will need to make sure that the wheel size of your new wheels is compatible with the size of the rims you are trying to use.
What Size Wheels Should I Get?
Your height will determine the size of your bike wheels. The next thing you should look at is the frame of the bike. You’ll need to make sure that you get a bike that has the right size frame.
Then, you can decide on the size of the wheels you want.
The following BMX bike sizing chart shows adults height and their wheel size.
What Other Accessories Should I Consider?
You will also need to consider some accessories. You will need to buy some foot pegs, grip, and a brake. You will need to get some grips and foot pegs that are specifically designed to work with larger wheels. You will also need to get a rear brake that will be able to accommodate bigger wheels.
In conclusion, you will need to buy some accessories that are specifically designed for bigger wheels. It is now up to you to decide which way you will go. If you are going to modify the front end of your BMX bike, then you will need to change the fork and the headset.
Surprisingly, if you are going to buy some new handlebars, then you will need to change the frame too. You will need to make sure that you have the right sized fork, handlebars, and rear brake. You will also need to make sure that the frame is capable of supporting bigger wheels.